Saturday, May 16, 2015

It's A Small World: Travel Bug Edition

This is a neat coincidence:

I was just notified that a travel bug, Later Gator,  that I released in Sellersburg Indiana at GeoWoodstock X on May 25th, 2012, was just dropped off at the Mainz Gutenberg 2015 Giga event - the same event I just attended not 5 hours ago.

Unfortunately it is too late for me to go back and find it, but it is kinda neat to think that something I released into the world ended up at the exact same place and the same time, on a different continent, without any prior planning. It is kinda like those stories you hear of a family forgetting the dog when moving across country but it follows them anyway (except I didn't have to pay for shots or neutering before the fuzzball disappeared).

The travel bug has gone 23,731 miles, and taken detours thru Texas, Mexico, France, Israel, and Spain (among others).  Whereas I just took a direct flight (not sure who has the better travel agent).

You can see the route it took here:
Geocaching does end up with some surprising and pleasant moments, doesn't it?

I wonder where the travel bug will end up next?